Saturday, October 18, 2008

Joe the Plumber


Joe

John Brown

I realize I'm very late getting into the “Joe the Plumber” tempest-in-a-teapot presidential debate controversy.

But let me tell you one thing straight away -- I’m envious of plumbers.

I plead guilty of high crimes: I got a Ph.D from Princeton, as “elitist” a place as you can get. Never mind that a scholarship got me through the program.

Let's face it: It’s very hard to “make it” financially in the USA on an academic degree, except if you “outsource” your talents to corporations/think tanks/Pentagon.

Just ask any teacher or prof tightening her belt in these hard times.

A journeyman plumber makes an average of $42,000 a year.

Meanwhile, a UC Berkeley Graduate Student Researcher's
"Salary/Bonus/Other" adds up to $27,200.

Reverse class warfare?

No, that’s the last thing we need.

But of course that’s what the Republican fat cats want.

Keep 'em “thinking classes” down.

If not, they could make real trouble.

Nothing more dangerous that a plumprof alliance.

P.S. Funny that McCain should bring up plumbers, given what the White House plumbers did during the Nixon years.

***

THE "NIXON" PLUMBERS, ARRESTED ON THE SCENE



No comments: