The U.S. Mission in Medan is seeking eligible and qualified applicants for the position of public Affairs Assistant in the Public Affairs Section.
Public Affairs Assistant
Basic Function of Position
- The incumbent serves as Consulate Medan’s primary Public Diplomacy and Media specialist.
- She / he provides analysis and advice to the American officers at the Consulate.
- Programs the Principal Officer in all public diplomacy (PD) events, staffs all PD programs and events, and plans consulate PD activities such as marketing and outreach.
- She / he works directly with media outlets to obtain press coverage of events and maintains strong relationships with local media officials.
- Organizes press conference and roundtables; drafts and issues press releases.
- She / he manages Consulate public diplomacy activities, including speaker and cultural programs.
- Assists Ambassador and Mission officers with public engagement in the Medan consular district.
- She / he creates content for social media platforms and the Consulate website.
- Works with the U.S. Embassy in Jakarta to coordinate messaging, exchange, and cultural programs and promotes United States education.
- She / he briefs and debriefs exchange program participants from the Medan consular district (that covers all of Sumatra and Batam with a population of 55 million), and maintains contact with alumni.
- Travel is required, often multiple trips monthly.
Applicants must address each required qualification listed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not qualified.
- Education: University degree in mass communications; marketing; journalism; American studies, international relations, or public relations is required.
- Experience: Must have at least three years’ work experiences in the field as a journalist, editor, public affairs, or advertising (or a combination of these) is required.
- Language: Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking / Reading / Writing of Indonesian language is required. Level 4 (Fluent) Speaking / Reading / Writing of English is required. (This will be tested).
- Skills and Abilities: Excellent customer service and problem solving orientation toward Mission and target audiences. Outstanding interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills. Confidence and skill in establishing and maintaining productive relations with senior journalists, government officials, business and cultural leaders. High degree of initiative and creativity. Sound intellectual judgement, flexibility and adaptability to changing schedules and unforeseen circumstances. Ability to collect, analyze, and summarize data for presentation in written prose, graphical depictions, and spoken presentations. Must be able to draft speeches and remarks in English and Indonesian. Ability to work with people from a wide variety of cultures. Must be able to translate in both directions accurately and quickly. Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation software, and internet research are essential. (This will be tested)
- Job Knowledge: A thorough knowledge of Indonesia’s media, political, economic, social, and education environment. Familiarity with key media outlets, government, cultural, and business institutions throughout Sumatra. Knowledge of U.S. political and social processes, and foreign policy issues relating to U.S. – Indonesia relations. Knowledge of public diplomacy programs, activities, exchanges, techniques, outreach activities and products.
- Salary: Ordinarily Resident (OR):FSN-9; Rp. 14,344,581,- per month (Full performance starting salary)
- Closing date: December 2, 2015
Those who are interested please download official info at link below.