Yossi Verter, Haaretz
Tibi image from article
The Yisrael Beiteinu party won't vote in favor of any legislation submitted by MKs from the Joint Arab List; MK Tibi: That’s what it’s like to be an Arab in the Knesset.
- Top Israeli politicians plotting to put an end to Netanyahu's lengthy rule
- Maybe Waze should determine Israel's borders
- Israel moves closer to an Arab-free Knesset thanks to new 'suspension bill'
Tibi [MK Ahmad Tibi (Joint Arab List)] spoke last week at a conference held in the headquarters of the Arab League in Cairo. His subject: the special situation of Arab citizens of Israel. “Our struggle is parliamentary, public, popular and via public diplomacy, but it must not turn violent,” he said. “Accordingly, I call on all the groups in the Arab world and elsewhere not to recruit Arab citizens of Israel for military or armed activity. Please keep your hands off our young people.”
- Tibi told me about his speech while we were talking about the incident this week in the Knesset. He had been asked to make the remarks in Cairo by Arab families in Israel whose children leave home and go to Turkey and Syria to join organizations such as Islamic State and Jabhat al-Nusra. I asked him whether the audience had applauded.
- “No,” he replied, “but I noticed people nodding in assent.”