Image (not from entry) from
Fall 2017, UN City Copenhagen
Are you passionate about the work [JB emphasis] of the United Nations, and looking to gain experience within communications and public diplomacy? The UN City Public Diplomacy and Communications Office (UNPDC) offers two internships in the fall of 2017 for outstanding graduate level students. The internship poses a unique opportunity to acquire direct exposure to the work of the UN and strategic communication in practice.
Background of Internship
UN City Copenhagen opened in spring 2013 and is an energy efficient and award winning LEED certified office building in Nordhavn. It houses approximately 1,500 UN staff members from 11 different UN organizations. The UNPDC is dedicated to external, internal and digital communications related to UN City, the UN’s mission of One UN, Sustainability and the work of
all UN organizations present in UN City Campus 1 and 2.
The target audiences of the UNPDC include but are not limited to the private sector, educational
institutions, the actively interested general public, organizations and institutions, government
agencies, the media and UN City staff.
UNPDC is responsible for the UN City visitor’s centre and strategic communication across external as well as internal communication channels. The office works in close cooperation with the UN
organizations in Denmark, NGO’s and civil society, governmental agencies and otherstakeholders.
Description of Tasks
• Organize and give guided tours to a range of different groups
• Undertake lectures to students and special interest groups
• Update and monitor the UN.dk website in English and Danish
• Manage UN City’s social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter andInstagram
• Update and monitor the UN City intranet
• Coordinate communications between internal and external parties and serve as a ‘point of
contact’ for requests for information on UN City
• Support meetings/conferences with internal and externalstakeholders
• Participate in and prepare agendas and write minutes from monthly coordination meetings
between all UN City agencies
• Support outreach activities with UN organizations and private sector, government agencies
• Create publications/articles/information materials and PowerPoint presentations for UNCity
• Translate and distribute corporate updates, statements and press-releases through national
media outlets and write executive summaries on relevant documents andreports
• Monitor Danish and international media for mentions of UN City, UN in Denmark and other
relevant news when needed
• Video production
• Any other duties as required
The internship provides an opportunity to supplement the theoretical knowledge of the intern with
practical and hands-on communication.
Interns are selected on a competitive basis. The following minimum qualifications are required:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills in Danish and English
• Demonstrated interest in the field of communications and/or international diplomacy or
• Web management skills, experience with CMS
• Photo editing skills/graphic design experience are considered an asset
• Video production skills are considered an asset
• Applicants must be enrolled in a full-time university degree program in a graduate school
(Master’s or equivalent) at the time of application and for the duration of the internship
• Applicants must demonstrate a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a
personal commitment to the ideals of the UN Charter
UNPDC does not pay for internships. The costs associated with the internship must be borne by the
nominating institution, related institution or government, which may provide the required financial
assistance to its students; or by the student, who will have to obtain financing for subsistence and
make his or her own arrangements for travel, accommodation etc.
This full-time internship (40 hours per week) will commence in August of 2017 and last six months.
Depending on the intern’s university, ECTS/credits may be possible.
Please send your resume (CV) and a cover letter to Flemming Johannesen
(firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than May 1st 2017.