Thursday, June 8, 2017

Letter: How problems can be solved with an open mind


Burlington Times News

image (not from entry) from

In my 89 years I have done a wide variety of jobs, highlighted by more than 25 years in what we called “public diplomacy,” discussing American society and U.S. policy with foreign audiences in eight countries on four continents. That required living for two or three years in each country. In furtherance of special projects I was assigned, I also visited and worked briefly in more than 20 other countries. In doing this work I learned a great deal about other people, other cultures, other religious views, and other attitudes about everything.

Prior to that career, I had edited several magazines, a public policy journal, and for a time produced a weekly suburban newspaper. I even edited a technical book. I worked for a farm organization and a trade association in the construction industry and served as spokesman for a unit of state government and an institution of higher education.

As preparation for these varied career moves my university studies featured emphasis on economics, political science, and communication, with a sprinkling of history, philosophy, psychology, and logic. I also had a bit of engineering and, courtesy of the U.S. Navy, a solid year of intensive training in electronics.

In between I squeezed in some time doing volunteer work for both Republican and Democratic Party candidates for public office.

I relate all this personal history as background for a point I wish to make. I hope readers will consider me qualified to express here a strongly held opinion about public policy.

Our nation’s problems are not caused by Democrats or liberals or left-leaning media or even Godlessness. Life is much more varied — and interesting — than that. Proposing simple answers for extremely complex problems is not useful in a world of people with widely diverging life experiences and viewpoints.

Truly understanding a problem and searching for a solution requires examination of all sides with a mind uncluttered by preconceived notions and assorted prejudices.

Jim Jensen

Burlington [...]

No comments: