Thursday, July 19, 2018

DU [University of Denver] honors 2018 class of Distinguished Alumni


Greg Glasgow, magazine.du.edu

Kwan image from article
Excerpt:
DU recruited an accomplished group of graduates for its 2018 Distinguished Alumni Awards: Olympic ice skater and U.S. diplomat Michelle Kwan (BA ’09), retired New Mexico Supreme Court Justice Patricio Serna (JD ’70), and Joseph Saunders (BSBA ’67, MBA ’68), former chairman and CEO of Visa. All three were on campus in May for Alumni Weekend festivities, including on-stage conversations about their lives and accomplishments and a Gold Dinner for students and alumni.

Michelle Kwan

The most decorated figure skater in U.S. history, Kwan boasts five world championships, nine U.S. national championships and two Olympic medals. She also has made significant contributions in diplomatic efforts, serving as the first public diplomacy [JB emphasis] envoy at the Department of State. She is now on the board of the Special Olympics.

Q: What was your DU experience like, coming off of a professional skating career?

A: My time [at DU] was spent trying to discover other passions in my life. That’s hard for anybody — you identify doing one particular thing, and suddenly it’s taken away from you. But I soon realized that I wasn’t starting from nothing. I had this amazing skill set that I learned through sports. I know what it takes. I know the grit, I know the discipline. I wasn’t starting from an empty gas tank. I was full. I just needed to apply myself. Everything I knew and how I found my love and passion in sports is how I embraced other passions in my life.

Q: When you need inspiration, where do you turn?

A: When I was a skater and I was in my mid-20s, I was like, “I’m world champion, Olympic medalist — what else do I need in my life?” For inspiration, I just need to turn to a little girl stepping out on the ice for the very first time. She can barely lace up her skates, but she’s getting onto the ice, so excited. When I’m in a tough spot, I often turn to the inspiration of someone who’s just starting, and how enthusiastic that person is. It really puts things in perspective.

Q: In your career, you’ve had the opportunity to be an influencer for people. What personal qualities do you think serve that role best?

A: A 6- or 7-year-old little girl came up to me with her mom. I was 13 years old, doing shows on this tour all over the country, and the mom came up to me and said, “My daughter wants to be just like you.” I was shocked. I was like, “I’m 13 years old; I’m only seven years older than your daughter.” But it made me think that I could play a positive role in this little girl’s life. And it inspired me to think, “I want to be the best daughter that I can be. I want to be the best sister, the best student, the best role model, the best skater I can be.” I don’t sit back and think about it, but hopefully it’s a path that inspires people. ...

No comments: