Deadline: 17 April 2017
The Public Affairs Section of the Embassy of the United States (U.S. Embassy) in Chile is seeking applications for its Public Diplomacy Programs with Chile to support projects proposed by U.S. and Chilean cultural, educational, and other non-profit organizations and/or individuals that fulfill U.S. Embassy goals and objectives: to promote greater understanding of the United States and to foster academic, cultural, and other people-to-people exchanges between the United States and Chile.
The Public Affairs Section is particularly interested in projects that support increasing academic and cultural exchanges between the United States and Chile, increasing social inclusion, fostering entrepreneurship and innovation, expanding English language proficiency, cooperating in science and technology, and advancing excellence in journalism.
Priority areas for project funding are:
- Expanding English language proficiency (priority: training secondary school teachers of underserved populations and English language teaching in institutions of higher education);
- Increasing academic exchanges between the United States and Chile (priority: higher education students and the 100,000 Strong in the Americas initiative);
- Increasing cultural exchanges between the United States and Chile (priority: reaching higher education students, underserved young professionals, and/or artists outside of Santiago);
- Increased social inclusion (priority: equal rights and opportunities for immigrants, LGBTI people, people with disabilities, indigenous communities, and racial minorities, as well as civic education);
- Fostering entrepreneurship and innovation (priority: projects that multiply the number of women and minority small business owners);
- U.S.- Chile cooperation in science and technology (priority: renewable energy, marine conservation and climate change);
- Advancing excellence in journalism (priority: investigative journalism).
- Approximate Total Award Funding to be distributed per cycle: USD $ 80,000.00, pending availability of funds
- Floor of Individual Award Amounts: USD $ 1,000.00
- Maximum Amount of Individual Award Amounts: USD $ 40,000.00
- Speaking tours/public talks by U.S. experts or roundtable discussions by U.S. experts with counterparts in Chile;
- Activities that foster student mobility between the United States and Chile;
- Joint U.S.-Chile conferences or meetings that produce concrete advances or other results;
- Projects that showcase a U.S. model or curriculum;
- Projects that include innovative uses of social media or virtual interaction to expand and amplify the impact;
- Creative projects that advance one or more of the priority areas.
- The Public Affairs Section encourages applications from all sectors: civil-society organizations, local representatives of civil society, think tanks, non-governmental organizations, academic and cultural institutions, and individuals.
- For-profit businesses/institutions are not eligible to receive public diplomacy awards.
- The Public Affairs Section encourages applicants to provide cost-sharing from additional sources in support of this project.
- It also encourages projects that use highly skilled volunteers as an element of cost-sharing.
- Applications should explain clearly other likely sources of funding and how the volunteers will be used.
- PAS are looking for proposals with outstanding cultural, educational, and exchange merit that involve geographically, demographically, and socio-economically diverse audiences in Chile.
- In deciding which projects to support, the Public Affairs Section will give consideration to the full range and diversity of U.S. and Chilean non-profit organizations.
- Government agencies and for-profit institutions, such as those registered as commercial and/or private businesses are not eligible to receive funding.
- Preference will be given to U.S. and Chilean individuals and institutions with a proven track record of executing superior cultural and educational events and programs.
- Preference will be given to proposals that demonstrate the long-term sustainability of the project and in-kind and/or in-cash financial commitments from other funding sources.
How to Apply
Interested applicants can apply via given website.
For more information, please visit U.S. Embassy in Chile.