Monday, May 15, 2017

USC Center on Public Diplomacy Daily

PD News Logo
May 15, 2017
RUSSIA TODAY
An ordinary US federal government employee won a prestigious invitation-only chess tournament set up by diplomats to improve international relations between Russia, Norway and the US after coming in as a last minute replacement for another player. “I got incredibly lucky, I am not a master, I don’t speak Russian. But I knew someone else with good connections, but he had to go out of town, so he asked me to go in his stead. And it just worked!” said David Sherman after winning first prize in the ‘Chess for Peace’ tournament at the Russian embassy in DC on Saturday... Read More...
TELANGANA TODAY
The four-day ICT4D Conference that is happening for the first time in India is set to take place at Hyderabad International Convention Centre from Monday. Telangana IT Minister K T Rama Rao will be inaugurating the conference that will have speakers from government, international and national NGOs, private and civil society organisations share their insights and innovations. They will be giving insights on data sharing, ICT and digital transformation, data visualization and analytics; and discuss their impact on global development challenges.... Read More...
THE CLARION-LEDGER
Over a decade ago, I met a newborn who forever changed my life. But I was not able to change hers. I knew immediately that without health interventions, this precious baby would likely die. There I was. Another white girl. Standing in a remote village outside of Solwezi, Zambia. There to learn but frozen with emotion. There to help but without the tools. I had a bachelor of arts from Millsaps College. I was no doctor. It was my first trip to rural Africa, and I was both hopeless and overwhelmed. Read More...
UN NEWS CENTER
Speaking at a major international conference in Beijing, United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres today drew comparisons between China's 'One Belt, One Road' initiative and the Sustainable Development Goals, saying both are rooted in a shared vision for global development. “Both strive to create opportunities, global public goods and win-win cooperation. And both aim to deepen 'connectivity' across countries and regions... Read More...

No comments: